Deciding what snake to get shouldn’t be a spur of the moment thing. Once you’ve learned the traits of a good snake owner and recognize those same traits in yourself it is time to begin the process of picking out the perfect snake for you
In this article we will examine some important questions to ask ourselves and the breeder that is interested in selling us the snake.
- Answer some questions
- To start off ask yourself a few questions and write down the answers. You should probably print at least the question section off and write your answers below the questions. You’ll see why in a moment.
- Why do I want a snake in the first place? What attracts me to them?
- What is my financial situation? Can I actually afford both the initial purchase price and the long term costs of snake ownership?
- How do I feel about feeding it “cute furry critters”?
- How much do I really know about snakes and their needs?
- Do I have room for the snake?
- Am I afraid of certain snakes? Certain sizes, colors, attitudes, or whatever
- Is there a particular breed of snakes I’m attracted to?
- Is there a particular disposition I am looking for when choosing my pet snake?
You should never buy any animal based on emotions. This is especially true of snakes due to the specialized care they require. Snakes can live a very long time (often over 20 years depending on the species) and you should make sure it is something you want to hang around with for that long.
- Selecting the source
- Once you’ve determined to go through with the purchase of a new snake you’ll need to select a source. The source should be known within the snake communities, and be well regarded. Consider the following as you look for a place to purchase the snake.
- How long have they been in business?
- What species of snake do they specialize in?
- Can they provide references?
- Where do they get their snakes from?
- Do they guarantee their animals?
- Who is their vet?
These aren’t the only questions you could ask the breeder they’re just a few to get you started. If you can think of more by all means don’t be shy! Remember you’re going to spend a decent amount of money with this person and you deserve to get as much information as you can from them.