Often we don’t appreciate how long a snake can live when housed in ideal conditions. The pet shops and breeders rarely ever tell us just how much of commitment it really is to care for a snake over the full course of its life. Fact is that snakes (as well as other reptiles) can live long, long lives especially when you compare it to that of other common household pets like cats, dogs, and ferrets.
This is not a full listing by any means it is simply designed to give the new potential snake owner some idea of how long these animals can be part of our lives if properly taken care of. Consider that snakes never stop growing for their entire lives though it does slow down as they get older. For however long it lives and is part of your home you will need to feed that snake.
- Corn Snake life span
- Corn snakes have a life span of 15 to 20 years while in captivity. Sometimes they can live longer but that is the average length of their lives.
- Ball Pythons life span
- Ball pythons have a life span of 20 to 30 years. While that is the “average” there are many people who find their beloved pet to get much older. The oldest on record lived to the ripe old age of 48. That’s just shy of half a century!
- Boa Constrictor life span
- Boas have a life span of 25 to 30 years on average, but like all other snakes it isn’t unheard of for them to live longer.
- Burmese Python life span
- The Burmese has a potential life span of 25+ years of age, but in captivity the average lifespan is closer to 10 years. The biggest reason for this is that people are simply not prepared to take care of an animal of this size. Given the right environment and conditions a Burmese will be sharing your life for a long time.
- Reticulated Python life span
- Reticulated pythons are like Burmese in both their life span (25+ years) and in their massive size. Again if Retic’s had the proper housing and care it could easily live to be 25 years old, but most people simply aren’t prepared for this kind of a snake.
- Carpet Python life span
- Carpet pythons have a life span of 20 to 30 years of age. There are several sub-species of Carpets (Coastal, Jungle, and others) but they all live to be about the same age
- Kingsnake life span
- The average life span for a kingsnake is 15 to 25 years.