Once you’ve decided that you can be a good snake owner, have picked a snake to get, and can afford the upkeep of that snake you’ll probably need to convince yourself of a few reasons why you should get one in the first place. Don’t worry because we’re here to help convince you.
- You enjoy snakes
- A passion for animals in general and snakes in particular is important if you want to get a snake. That’s because on the surface they can seem pretty boring
- They don’t curl up with you on the couch
- They don’t fetch
- No matter how adorable you think they are most other people won’t agree with you
- With the exception of feeding time they don’t do much at all
- A large snake can make a horse’s shit look pleasantly small
- Either they tolerate you or they don’t but you’ll never be friends with your snake
- They have no problem biting the hand that feeds them
People send us emails asking how they can make their snake more affectionate. (Un)fortunately that isn’t possible. If you don’t enjoy them as they are don’t waste your time getting one.
- They have something to teach you
- Most people are afraid of snakes because they are uneducated about them. When you can explain why a snake:
it makes them much less threatening. Better than just being able to answer I can show the person what I’m talking about. They can see it with their own eyes and that makes them a lot less scary.
- A snake is a low maintenance pet
- Compared to a more traditional pet like cats or dogs snakes require little time. They aren’t zero maintenance. You’ll need to:
But even with all of that you won’t need to pick up after them all day long. They don’t leave toys out all over the place. They don’t leave hair and dander all over you clothes and furniture.